Fast and simple in-memory computing
DB2 with BLU Acceleration includes six advances for fast in-memory computing:
- In the moment business answers from within the transaction environment, new with DB2 10.5 “Cancun Release”, utilizes BLU Shadow Tables to automatically maintain a column-based version of the row-based operational data. Analytic queries are seamlessly routed to these column organized BLU Shadow Tables that are ideal for fast analytic processing.
- Next-generation in-memory computing delivers the benefits of in-memory columnar processing without the limitations or cost of in-memory only systems that require all data to be stored in system memory to achieve breakthrough performance. BLU Acceleration dynamically optimizes movement of data from storage to system memory to CPU memory (cache). This patented IBM innovation enables BLU Acceleration to maintain in-memory performance even when active data sets are larger than system memory.
- Actionable compression preserves the order of the data, enabling compressed data in BLU Acceleration tables to be used without decompression. A broad range of operations like predicates and joins are completed on compressed data. The most frequent values are encoded with fewer bits to optimize the compression.
- CPU acceleration is designed to process a huge volume of data simultaneously by multiplying the power of the CPU. Multi-core processing, SIMD processor support and parallel data processing are all used to deeply exploit the CPU and process data with less system latency and fewer bottlenecks.
- Data skipping eliminates processing of irrelevant and duplicate data. This is accomplished by examining small sections of data to determine if it contains information that is relevant to the analytics problem at hand. Deciding on these “hot” portions of data in more granular sections means that less irrelevant data is being processed in the first place.
- Oracle SQL compatibility streamlines and reduces risk in moving data from Oracle database to DB2 with BLU Acceleration. This leverages existing skills and investments, while taking advantage of the speed and simplicity of BLU Acceleration to deliver fast business insights.
IBM believes that in-memory computing should be easy on IT resources:
- Load and go set-up allows you to start deriving value from your data in a couple simple steps. Simply create the table, load the data and go. It’s fast out of the gate – no tuning, no tweaking required. This means you can more quickly satisfy business needs even as they change and evolve.
- One administration environment for analytics or transactional data helps ease management. BLU Acceleration is built seamlessly into DB2 10.5 for Linux, UNIX and Windows, a proven enterprise-class database. A single set of enterprise-class administration functions for either row- or column-organized data reduces complexity, while a series of automation capabilities help free IT talent for higher value projects.
- Flexible multi-platform deployment for Linux on Intel, zLinux, AIX on Power and Windows makes the most of IT resources whether you are using existing hardware or the latest technology. This is the only in-memory computing technology to deploy on the cloud or on multiple platforms, offering greater flexibility in meeting the need for business answers.
Three Easy Steps to Learn BLU Acceleration
- Step1: BLU Acceleration Technical Deep Dive
IBM Distinguished Engineer, Sam Lightstone , (1.5 hours)
Step 2: Get the IBM Redbooks publication
Architecting and Deploying BLU Acceleration
- Step 3: Try the latest release of BLU Acceleration free for 90 days
Select Warehouse component trial.